FemInStyle Africa is a women-led digital magazine that is committed to telling the stories of African women by African women. We focus on politics, gender, finance, health, profiles and fashion, lifestyle, and travel with women as the central focus.
Working with us will offer an opportunity to grow in a young and dynamic organisation that values creativity and innovation. We offer a conducive and non-toxic work environment where your contribution is valued and recognised. You will be joining a movement of fun, stylish and fierce women fighting for gender equality! We value:
We work together towards a common goal and so operate an open-door policy where your teammates and managers are on hand to offer support in achieving company and individual.
We value treating everyone with consideration and dignity.
We value being accountable, responsible, and professional in the decisions that we make.
FemInStyle Africa is committed to amplifying women’s voices and therefore our recruitment process focuses primarily on prioritising applications from women and other minority groups.
The following roles are currently open at FemInStyle Africa. If you would like to explore working with FemInStyle Africa in a role that is not listed below or as a volunteer, please email email@example.com.
FemInStyle Africa is looking for an ambitious and dynamic Senior Editor to join our editorial team. As our Senior Editor, you will be crucial in planning and shaping content to reflect the voice of FemInStyle Africa. You will be central in growing our audience across the African Continent, sourcing new and exciting writers, and being on top of trending topics around issues that affect women and girls. The Senior Editor will be expected to build relationships with guest writers in order to build a rota of quality content for publication and be responsible for building and maintaining our monthly newsletter. Success in this position calls for a combination of project management; the ability to edit for accuracy, clarity, and quality; and superior writing skills.
The primary function of the senior editor is to copy edit, ensure a consistent voice and adherence to the article’s intended scope, as well as ensure the publication’s quality standards and style guidelines are met. It may involve fact-checking to verify article details, as well as authenticating sources. The senior editor is expected to engage in the monthly brainstorming sessions with our in-house writers for story ideas and with the Editor-In-Chief for monthly publishing themes.
Working with the editor-in-chief, the senior editor may help establish deadlines and production schedules for upcoming editions. You will also be required to assign content visuals and articles to in-house staff and freelance/guest writers while communicating deadlines and specific requirements. The senior editor should be available to work closely with the digital marketing team to ensure brand voice is consistent throughout and to answer questions writers and other staff may have with respect to their work and deadlines. You must be a problem-solver, have a working understanding of SEO and google analytics, and be data-driven.
- Editing Articles for accuracy and grammar
- Evaluate content to ensure it is appropriate and in line with FemInStyle Africa’s ethos
- Developing and managing writers and content creators (often remotely)
- Build a rota of guest writers for the magazine
- Contributing to the recruiting process for writers and reviewers
- Produce editorial for newsletter
- Produce scripts for videos as required
- Manage process for sourcing and reviewing articles, preparing articles for publication and publishing articles according to the editorial calendar put together by the editorial team.
- Updating writers and reviewers guidance documents
- Uploading articles on the website and ensuring content maintains good SEO and keyword rating.
- Oversee quality control for the publication, and work with marketing and graphics personnel on securing artwork, graphics and creating captions for social media.
- Publish articles on scheduled dates and times and provide links to published articles to social media manager to post
- Participate in tasks with the creative team; and perform other duties as assigned
Good command of the English Language.
Good command of French or African Language (eg Swahili, Hausa, etc) is a plus
Degree in Journalism or Communications preferred
Understanding of content marketing systems and techniques
Have knowledge of google analytics and SEO
Have a good understanding of digital publishing
Previous experience as an editor a plus
Strong Leadership skills, able to manage a diverse, remote team
Good decision-making skills
Good interpersonal skills
Be able to commit at least 12 hours a week